- 25g butter
- 400g mushrooms in season, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300ml beef stock
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 tspn vegemite
- 200ml thick cream
- A small handful of parsley, chopped
- Pasta for 4 people (fresh preferable, we used gnocchi)
- Take the wallaby out of the fridge one hour before cooking, rinse and pat dry.
- Dress with olive oil and salt.
- Sear in a smoking hot pan until caramel in colour on both sides and set aside. Don’t over cook it, literally a minute.
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- For the stroganoff sauce, return the pan to medium heat and add the butter to melt.
- Add the thinly sliced mushrooms and the garlic and cook for 4 minutes,
- stirring, or until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the brandy and cook for a further 1 minute or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add beef stock, Vegemite and thickened cream and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
- Strain the cooked pasta. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the
- wallaby, chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.