Depending on the size of roast you may need to double marinade mix.
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 heaped tblspn juniper berries
- A good drizzle of lemon myrtle or extra virgin olive oil
- A good drizzle of bush tomato balsamic vinegar
- 800gm wallaby leg or shoulder
- Seasonal roasting vegetables
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 large beetroots, quartered
- 6 carrots, halved lengthways
- A splash of white wine or stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Take the wallaby out of the fridge one hour before cooking, rinse and pat dry
- Dress with olive oil and salt sear in a smoking hot pan until caramel in colour (couple of minutes on each side).
- To make the marinade, crush rosemary, garlic juniper berries, oil and balsamic in a mortar and pestle and apply the marinade onto the roast.
- Chop all the seasonal vegetables and place into a large roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add a splash of white wine and place the meat on top of the vegetables.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour for rare and rest for 20-30 minutes wrapped loosely in foil before serving.
- While the roast is resting, take the vegetables out of the roasting pan, drain the juices as to not stew the vegetables and put back into the oven until cooked.
- The juices can be saved as jus and served on the wallaby roast once carved.