Crocodile with Tropical Fruit Sauce
- 1 crocodile tail fillet (around 180g)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp five spice
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Tropical fruit sauce:
- 1 large mango diced
- 1 pawpaw (papaya) diced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp chopped macadamia nuts
- 15 ml rum (dark rum is best)
- 1 cup water
- About an hour before
cooking, whisk the eggs, flour and five spice together with a wire whisk
until the mixture is smooth. Chill in the fridge until it is needed.
- Melt butter in saucepan and
heat macadamias. Add brown sugar and stir for 2 minutes. Add mango and
pawpaw, mash. Add water and stir occasionally until mixture boils. Stir in
rum, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, cut the crocodile
tail fillet in half widthways and then cut each half into inch wide
- Dust each crocodile strip
with flour and then dip in the egg mixture.
- Deep fry the crocodile
strips until they are golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper, set
aside and keep warm.
- Take the mango pulp and put
it in a blender. Blend until smooth and return to the pan.
- Add the cinnamon, honey, soy
and ginger and mix well. Simmer gently until the sauce is thick. Taste and
- Serve the crocodile with the
sauce poured over coriander noodles